Subject: Re: [Leica] F3- was Eos 1
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 14:38:45 -0500

The why doesn't Nikon produce a new batch of the "ring resistors" that are
required by the F2 Photomic meter prisms (and I think the F meter as well),
and which are widely known to have a limited lifespan, and are no longer
available?

Certainly Minolta is no better;  my Minolta 9000 is about 15 years old and
has at least two components in it which are prone to early failure and
which are now unavailable.  On the other hand (to keep this on topic)
Kindermann here in Canada states in writing that they will repair any Leica
built since 1925.

Dan C.

At 10:48 AM 06-02-00 -0800, Ken Iisaka wrote:
>There is an internal, unofficial policy at Nikon to keep supporting its
>top-of-the-line cameras until parts deplete completely.  This policy is
>"unofficial" just for ISO compliance.  Nikon has been known to do a run
>of replacement parts to keep these bodies alive.  Most recently, Nikon
>produced several hundred rangefinder prisms for its SP and S3 bodies.
>Also, enough parts are interchangeable from S2 to F2, that you could end
>up with an S2 with F2 titanium shutter curtains.  I think Nikon's policy
>to keep supporting its product is just as good as anybody's.
[snip]