Subject: [Leica] rabiner and flash
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 09:03:20 +0100

Well, everybody says mark is an ace snapper, so I'm sure he knows what he's
talking about, but flash has lots more applications than getting passport
booth pictures, I think. Fill, slow synch, balancing tubelighting, etc. And
when you're _very_ clever you can even bounce it, you know (although not
with the Leica flash, I believe). Flash is beautiful and very useful and
one of the things that makes me hesitate when considering a full commitment
to the M series is the awkwardness of using flash with it.
As for mark, it takes more than my limited insight to know when he's joking
or not :)
Rob.
BTW, someone said they could get off a 1/4 second handheld using the soft
release approach and some way of squeezing the release? I don't think that
anything that has a heartbeat can can achieve acceptable sharpness at 1/4;
I'm pleased if I can occasionally get away with 1/8, and even then it's
just pure luck when I have no choice. 1/15 is pushing it, for me, but then
I'm old and shaky, I guess.
Oh yes, just to rile you, Nikon make a soft release too... It looks nice on
my M6 with "Nikon" printed in white on the little black button. And it does
make shooting smoother.
Now I'll have to find some little Canon gizmo to fit somewhere (preferably
non-functional)... How about a replacement for the red spot with "Canon"
written on it?
Ciao, Rob.

Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow
Via Bellentani 36