Subject: [Leica] Re: 28mm PC Super-Angulon abnd Rfdr Nikon rumors
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:32:58 -0800

Bob:

Thanks for your informative reply to my questions about your 28 PC SA.

You reminded me of one thing I disliked about my 35 PC Nikkor. I always
felt that it  was more suited to tripod use. But was that feeling real or
imagined? I never really considered that it could be used as a "standard"
lens.  Back then I probably dismissed the idea, because nobody else used a
PC lens as a standard lens.

I'm older and wiser now. I'm trying more to think outside the box. I want
to be creative. I want need to challenge all the stereotypes that I've
carried with me regarding photography for years. For instance, if a PC lens
can be used to "correct" converging lines, could it not also be used to
"accentuate" converging lines? How might that be useful for creative
effects?

Further, a PC lens can be used for panoramics. Shift horizontally one way
and shoot a frame. Rotate the lens 180 degrees (fully shifted horizontally
the opposite way) and take a second frame. Now you've got panoramic
coverage. I tried it with my 35 PC and it worked. (You can  point your
camera a little to the left or right using a traditional lens, but the
effect is not the same). I never utilized the panoramic option. I never had
the patience to match up the negs in the darkroom. But digital opens up a
new world. I also think that a 28 PC would be much more useful than my 35
PC.

Sorry if I'm thinking out loud. But a shift lens could open up some
creative doors.  Plus, on the practical side, it's also handy for
architectural work. Now the question is, am I willing to pay to find out if
it's really for me.

David