Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: M6 Viewfinder rangefinder patch flare
From: Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:15:57 -0500

I was one of the originators of this thread, so I must clarify
something that has been lost.

We are not complaining of flare because it is hard to see. In some
bright situations the rangefinder patch completely disappears from
flare and the camera cannot be focused.

The flare isn't the issue; it's the loss of function.

My M4-P never does it. My Hexar RF never does it. My Wetzlar M6 did
it once in a while. My 1998 M6 did it often.

Tom

>Anyone who uses an SLR and points it toward the sun (or bright lights)
>knows what flare and diaphragm reflections are. They also know that a
>slight shift in position will usually cure the problem. You can see when
>you are getting lens or filter flare and take appropriate action.
>
>If you are about to snap a photograph with your M6, and you have RF flare,
>and if you have a filter (any) on your lens, you are also probably going to
>get filter flare. If you use filters, be happy that you get RF flare. Take
>it as a warning to remove the filter. Without it you are clueless.
>
>When my M6 RF flares out, I quickly check to see if the same light is
>hitting the lens. If it is, I take appropriate action.
>
>Turn what you think is a flaw into a feature.
>
>Jim

Thomas Kachadurian
www.kachadurian.com