Subject: Re: [Leica] Which is better M Series lens 21 f/2.8 or 24 f/2.8
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:31:09 +0000

on 15/2/00 4:29 am, Rob Schneider-Laura Tully at robslaurat@earthlink.net
wrote:

> B. D. Colen wrote:
>
>> You will undoubtedly waste frames from time to time, but film is
>> cheap..:-)
>>
>> I haven't used the 24, but the 21 ASPH is absolutely phenomenal...Sharp
>> from
>> edge to edge...very little distortion...I'll bet that at this point I use
>> it
>> for 30 to 50 percent of my shooting....
>>
> So you're saying that you lose as many as 18 frames on a 36-exposure roll
> because the camera lacks something as simple as a shutter release lock?
> This is TOTALLY unacceptable on a camera that costs $2000.
>
> Rob Schneider

Is it just me or have we (I mean you) lost the plot here?

BD says he has the occasional misframe, but uses the 21 for 30-50% of his
shooting. The originator of the thread says he occasionally triggers the
shutter accidentally ('a couple of frames') because of no shutter lock.

Hhow this translates into '18 frames on a 36 exposure roll' is beyond me.

Incidentally, I use soft releases which accentuate the accidental shutter
firing problem, but BD is right, film's cheap. I have other cameras which do
have shutter locks, and I don't use them, because the stinkin camera always
ends up turned off at the exact moment you want to use it.

- --
John Brownlow

       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk