Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston cameras
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:41:46 -0800

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:33:42 -0600
From: Anders Nygren <txmanyg@txm.ericsson.se>

> Previous [Hasselbla] prize-winners have been: (Up to 1995)
> [all wonderful photographers]

> And some of You will be shocked to hear that the 1999
> Hasselblad Award went
> to ........
> ...... Cindy Sherman.

Aaaauuggggggghhhhhhh!

> The short intro on the Hasselblad Center web pages
> describes her as "Cindy Sherman's work is central to
> our understanding of Western visual culture during
> the eighties and nineties.

Say *what*?

> One of the first (and the few) of the post-modernists
> to site politics and gender issues at the center of
> her work, [...]

*Guffaw*. She impressed the "political" downtown NYC
gallery crowd whith a series of "social critiques"
about as deep as an avrage ad in _Elle_. Like, wow,
she dressed up as Barbie on Drugs and cross processed
her film.

Oh, man, I'm Drivin' the Porcelain Bus!

Alexey Merz