Subject: Re: [Leica] Quality of the 5cm f1.5 Summarit (and the earlier Xenon)
From: "Dave Stratton" <stratton@gci.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 08:19:15 -0900

Stephen wrote
<<<<<I wouldn't say it's horribly soft wide open. But it certainly has a
soft
look. This is more due to low contrast (it has a lot of flair) than lack
of resolution.

Stephen

I obtained a Summarit, really liked the "glow" of the images, however I did
find that the softness at 1.5 made the lens a little disappointing.  The
lens had a very lit 'haze'(rear element fogged)...a local camera smith said
it would likely not impact the image...and that he thought it could not be
cleaned.

I sent the lens (lense) to Sherry Krauter for a CLA.  I have had only a
brief time to test the change but it is SIGNIFICANT.   Sherry got the glass
to look like new glass, AND, thus the contrast has improved and most
noticeable...at 1.4.

If you have one of these lens...a CLA before determining the worth of the
lens may prevent you from rejecting a lens that would have really performed
quite acceptably for you.  At 1.4 the lens still  has a soft look...not
unpleasant, but seems to be that tad sharper.

Stephen...great shots.

Dave