Subject: Re: [Leica] Anyway to organize this list?
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 09:20:18 -0800

The digest is created automatically by software that was free. The
postings are listed in chronological order. If a posting appears 3
times, then it was received 3 times by the digester, and perhaps was
even sent 3 times.

A few months ago I put on my crash helmet and went in to modify that
software so that it did not include MIME or Rich Text or attachments in
the digest. That was an amazing amount of work, but while I was in
there I learned enough about the structure of the list-digest software
to understand that it would be very difficult to modify this program to
do much of anything different from what it already does. A couple of
years ago I managed to add the topic headings, and I still have the
scars on my brain from doing that.

If the world were a perfect place there would be low-priced commercial
software to do this, but there isn't.

Did you all see the advertisement about 'herding cats' on American TV a
few weeks ago?