Subject: Re: [Leica] The M3 Rules
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:05:36 -0800

At 10:45 AM -0500 2/21/00, DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/21/00 9:23:11 AM Central Standard Time,
>hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se writes:
>
><< I will not argue about the film loading system, I will just say that
>somehow you get used to the old ways too, and I have never mis-loaded any
>single M2-M3 roll for more than 25 years. That is some statistics!
>
> Hans
>  >>

>If you will go back several weeks on the LUG you will find a number of M-6
>users who were having trouble with loading and lost pictures because the M-6
>did not have a positive loading system.
>
>The M-3 very definitely has a positive loading system that greatly reduces
>the risk of the winder lever being stroked but the film not advancing since
>it was not automatically picked up.
>
>The M-3 is still my favorite and with an incident meter in hand, it is a true
>dream.
>
>Don R.

M4 and later cameras are easy. Dump film in, pull leader to the opposite
side of the spindle, push the rest of the way in. Attach bottom plate. Fire
away. The only time in the last 30 years I lost shots due to misloading was
when I didn't watch, and didn't have the back closed all the way before
attaching the bottom plate! But then at least, you can watch your film
advancing right before your eyes.

I've lost shots due to misloading on Nikons, Canons, and various larger
formats, but not Leicas. M4's and later are the most consistent rapid
loaders in my experience. Fast, as well. Don't change it!

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com