Subject: [Leica] Oriental Seagull VC RP-F
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:29:23 -0700

Photography has become my second full-time job lately and if I didn't
need to sleep sometime, I'd probably be printing throughout the night!
New to me is Oriental Seagull VC RP-F paper, covered in the current
Photo Techniques. Had I known of the article at the time, I would have
realized that RP stands for "Resin Protected"; the packaging itself is
unenlightening. This paper is much faster and has greater contrast (no
filtration used) than the Ilford MGIV RC that I had been using. Initial
impression: Wow! Great sense of crispness but the deep shadows have
tonality and the highlights have texture. Mid-tones demand exacting
exposure though: I already have a couple of voltage stablizers in the
house, but now I want a digital timer too! Much pleased with what looks
to me like neutral to cool-black renditions. I've never tried selenium
toner before, but I've got a fresh bottle of it standing by; this should
be good.

Most of what I shoot these days is Tmax 400, usually processed in a 1:1
solution of Xtol at 24 degrees C, but I've also been experimenting with
HC-110 solution B. The Xtol negatives (too soon to tell with the HC-110
ones) in general seem to print pretty easily compared to older Plus-X
and Tri-X negatives developed in D76.

New safelight: CMG Equipment (www.cmgequipment.com) "Bonfire" LED tent
light! No one had the Jobos in stock, so this was a real find, and for
less than $20, a bargain. It's the size of a small flashlight, is rated
to run 18 hours in the bright setting on 2 AA batteries and so long as I
did not point it's bright yellow beam right at the paper, is indeed
paper-safe. The older safelight is a red LED strip originally used as
automobile 3rd brake light. Bounced off the walls and ceiling, this too
works very well but it requires 12 volts DC. Ironically, the WORST
safelight in the house is also the only one specifically marketed as a
safelight: Brightlab Jr. And despite the name, it's also the dimmest by
far yet causes a good deal of paper fogging. I could put it in a cheap
reflector and bounce it for better results, but it's already so dim so
why bother.

I've toying with the idea of treating myself to a better enlarger
(specifically, one that's easier to align) and came away very impressed
by a Leica V35 which is sitting at Werner's Mile High Camera--talk about
wonderful overkill! I was amazed by the sight of a cast and machined
metal negative carrier which snaps very precisely into place. If it
could handle my 4x5 negatives as well as my 35mm, I'd be all over it!
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado