Subject: [Leica] Will your next Leica camera be a FUJI
From: Bill <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 12:25:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi Gang,

You may want to mark this on your calendar and check it the first
part of September to see if I am correct.

Here goes...

As we all know, Leica has three main problems:

1)  They need to modernize the M6 with auto exposure, DX film coding,
etc. and have it ready for Photokina this year.

2)  They need to add new items, to bring a little excitement their
ageing product line.

3)  They need to do something about the Sales & Marketing department.
(I suggested a firing squad to Herr Cohn, but he didn't like that
idea...too messy).

The answer to all of the about problems is FUJI (a.k.a. FUJI Film)...
and I think the deal is already done.

1)  Fuji has experience building top quality AE 35mm range finder
cameras (the Hasselblad XPAN is made by FUJI).  Therefore they
already have the necessary shutter and electronics which I think
Leica lacks.  I don't know if the camera will be made in Japan or
just the parts made there and assembled in Germany...maybe both.

2)  For well over a year now, I have had the feeling that Leica is
going into the Medium Format market, it is the only logical way they
can go.  WOW!  GUESS WHAT?  Fuji just happens to make a couple medium
format range finder cameras that they could easily put a RED DOT on
and start shipping next month.

3)  FUJI has great sales, marketing, and distribution.  All this is
in place so Leica may have the opportunity to reduce it's marketing
and distribution costs.

As most of you know, FUJI and Leica already have a relationship where
FUJI makes the Leica Digilux camera.

Lieca is between a rock and a hard place. They can't afford another
R8 disaster, and they can't afford the time needed to perfect their
own design.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Bill Erfurth