Subject: [Leica] Contax RTS 1.4/50 Planar Qualities
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 20:05:52 -0500

I happened to be speaking to the noted Hasselblad and Contax RTS
professional, Mike Fletcher, today about the Duncan Test and Mydan's use of
Nikon lenses (Mike knows Mydans well and has open access to the Duncan
Archives in Texas, so he was a good person to speak with concerning this
item of recent List interest).

In any event, Mike and I began discussing the use of SLR lenses (now, that
shows how polite he is, given my infrequent use of SLR's in general!), and
he mentioned that almost all of his professional miniature-format work was
done with a 25-50-180 mix on the Contax RTS.  I asked him WHICH 50, and he
immediately replied that the 1.4/50 Planar was the most satisfactory 50 he
had ever owned, that it was his regular lens, and that it outperformed the
Summilux in his estimation.  (Mike also owns a formidable collection of M
gear.)  I mentioned the Pop test and Erwin's evaluation and he simply said
that it was HIS favorite 50mm lens, and that he couldn't speak for others.

So, there, at least, is ONE satisfied user of this lens.  (I have the same
lens in Rollei QBM and find it quite nice, though I probably use my
Summilux a hundred times more.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!