Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:50mm f1.5 Nokton question
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:01:50 -0800

>I looked at the Nokton. I haven't used one yet. I was intrigued by the fact
>that it's (significantly) bigger than my 50/1.4 Summilux M, but it weighs
>about the same as my 50/2 DR Summicron. I'm a fan of small lenses. In fact,
>that 25 Skopar looks interesting just because it's so small. Somebody wore
>their thinking cap when they designed that lens, and the 15 Heliar. I
>wonder if they're ever going to be make either in Leica BM.
>
>David.

david,

i have come to pretty much the same conclusion about that nokton - it's
big, too big, or so it seems to me. i was looking for a fast 50 for my iiif
and briefly considered the nokton (my god, i almost wrote nikton! might've
been castrated for that, what with the tempers on this list). though it's
in ltm, it looks out of proportion on the sm bodies, imo. in fact, to my
eye it even looks big on an m. at any rate, i wound up getting a summarit
(from ken wilcox - thanks again, ken) and am more than happy with it. i've
just printed the first shots taken with that lens and must say that i'm a
definite fan of the creamy boken and 'soft detail' that it gives. and it
looks like it was made for the leica sm body!

re: the skopar - that one also looks like it was made for ltm bodies. it's
also a very fine lens, imo. and it's small (i'm also a fan of small lenses).

are any of you luggers using the nokton or color heliar on a sm body? how
do they feel? while i'm sure they perform well, i'd like to know a little
about the ergonomics of those monsters when they're screwed into a barnack
body.

guy