Subject: Re: [Leica] Residue After Cleaning Lens
From: "Bob Parsons" <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:25:50 -0000

Doug,
You could try using a well washed chamois leather. It has a
soft and not so soft side, so be sure to use the soft one.
Chamois seems to have an enormous affinity for removing
thin oily films/residues on lenses. You may find you have to
breath on the lens first.
New leathers sometimes have a yellowish oil in them which
is removeable by washing in liquid detergent. After washing
and drying rub the leather against itself to soften it. It pays to
wear cotton gloves to prevent finger grease from contaminating
the leather, otherwise it puts on as much oil as it takes off!

Although I hesitate to ask this, you are sure the purplish residue
isn't the anti reflection coating after it's been cleaned?
I'm assuming that every time you wipe the lens the appearance
of the coating changes slightly showing that there is surface
contamination that's being redistributed.
I've found ROR always leaves a residue which can be removed
by breathing on the lens and wiping with a chamois.
.
Bob Parsons