Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm versus 120
From: "Hugh Thompson" <painfree@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 11:32:05 -0500

Currently I use a Fuji GW670III as a medium format camera, it has a fixed
90/3.5 lens.  I bought this because I was using a Mamiya 1000s (box style)
and had a terrible time handholding it.  LUGGERS will be delighted to know
the Fuji is a rangefinder, and shaped like a 35 camera.  It is light and
manoeuvrable, and user friendly.  Why do I need medium format, because on
Sundays I shoot family portraits professionally, either in the home or
outside, and we pose allowing space for cropping, so we have more
flexibility than with 35, plus when you are looking through the negatives
for the slight difference between shots, the larger the format the better.

We have recently added a new dimension to our portrait shooting.  Since
reading how LUGGERS use wide open shots for softness and bokeh, I also take
my F3 with the 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 lens, and do extra head poses, very close,
using available light at 1.4 - just to see if it works.  The prints I have
seen so far look good, we will wait to see what the clients like.  Will post
results.

I want to thank the LUG for the technical advice which is seeping in through
osmosis.  I am looking forward to the day when I can use an M6 to do the
available light shots, will be seeking advice at that time on lenses etc -
Hugh Thompson