Subject: Re: [Leica] apo 90 versus 4/150
From: Jeff Spirer <jeff@spirer.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:32:03 -0800

At 09:09 AM 3/19/00 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>A VERY interesting post ruined by this "wishful thinking" last paragraph,
>Mike.
>Showing a stack of prints to people is better "research" than the study of
>MTF graphs?
>And reduces the study of MTF graphs to "wishful thinking"?

If the supposed end result of photography is a photograph that someone will
result.  I have never successfully hung an MTF graph on the wall.  I have
done the other things, and to be perfectly honest, Mike's methodology is a
lot more important to me than any scientific testing.

I realize that many people, including many Leica owners, have cameras for
reasons other than making wonderful photographs, but that's another story,
and they can live happily with their MTF charts and carefully preserved
cameras.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/