Subject: [Leica] apo 90 versus 4/150
From: Mitch Alland <malland@mac.com>
Date: 20 Mar 2000 05:55:45 -0500

Mike Johnston>>>>Note that I didn't say that MTF data is invalid--I merely
>said that starting with this data and extropolating what "should" happen in a
>print based on this data is a wrongheaded approach--and I
>believe it is.

In his 1987 Leica M book (page 55), Osterloh states that Leica lenses are designed for photographing three-dimensional objects and that "Those who attempt to evaluate the performance capabilities of Leitz lenses with the help of test charts and MTF curves will -- to put it in photograhic terms -- easily get the wrong picture. That is also the reason why test verdicts published by respected magazines and institutes do not always agree with the experience of recognized photographic experts and photographers."

Or is this the (old) Leitz company rather than the (new) Leica company of the ASPH age?

- --Mitch

- --Mitch