Subject: [Leica] Berlin 1945
From: Mitch Alland <malland@mac.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2000 17:05:30 -0500

Kurt Miska wrote:>>>>Talk about irony. Yesterday I received the general info brochure on the
>M6 from Leica NJ. Among some very nice photographs reproduced in this
>lavish promo piece is the memorable Leica photo of Soviet soldiers
>hoisting the hammer and sickle flag of the USSR over bombed out Berlin.
>German camera used to take this sad photo. BTW, I lived about 15 miles
>from there at the time.

Hitler dead, Nazi Germany defeated...and this is a SAD PHOTO? At that time, I was a child in Warsaw who had 11 out of 14 aunts and uncles die at the hands of the Nazis. Believe me, for Poles, unless you were a Nazi collaborator, the Russians taking Berlin was not a sad sight. What people thought about the Soviet Union and the Red Army subsequently during the Cold war is another matter.

Amazing what people will write on this forum. Note that the poster of this nonsense, did not write "it was sad to see that the Nazis had brought Germany to this state" --- which might have made some sense. Rather, he thinks it is sad that a German camera was used to take such picture. Irony? Gimme a break!

- --Mitch (aka Mieczyslaw)