Subject: Re: [Leica] 25 or 28 mm lens suggestion
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:39:53 -0800

>I am looking at either the Voigtlander 25 or the Elmarit-M 28 mm lens.  Does
>anyone have an opinion on the picture quality and ease of use of either one?
>I know the 25mm is not rangefinder coupled and not as fast, but there is a
>huge difference in price.
>
>Jim

jim,

if the lens were for an m body, i'd probably bite the bullet and buy the
elmarit-m 28. if the lens were to be mounted on a ltm body, i'd opt for the
skopar 25 (which i do use on a iiif).

the latter gives very good results, is extremely compact, has a wonderful
finder and is very inexpensive. i've never used the elmarit-m 28, but i
assume it's more solidly built than the cosina lens and has the not
inconsiderable advantage of being rangefinder coupled. if you're going to
use it on an m camera, you don't need an auxiliary finder, which, imho, is
also an advantage.

now, if you're hooked on the 28 focal length, are not in too much of a
hurry and are willing to splurge, you might want to wait a bit. the leica
guy at samy's has told me that leica will soon be announcing a summicron
asph 28. according to him, the 28 is the next m lens to be 'updated.'

guy