Subject: RE: [Leica] 25 or 28 mm lens suggestion
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:54:01 -0000

Jim,
I've not used the latest 28mm Leica lens, I've only tried the first (1964)
version, which though it was the cheapest ever Leica 28mm I've seen (325
GBP) was still not as cheap as the Voigtlander. That old lens would not
match the quality of the modern Voigtlander lens but I expect the more
modern ones would, and certainly surpass it.
Check out Erwin Puts's website for more extensive tests.

I have used the 25mm lens for a while and found it deceptively useful. One
does not miss the rangefinder focusing after adopting the 'snapshot'
focusing style.
Ask yourself is your picture wanting to focus at infinity (mountains?), 3m
(a group of people?), 1.5m, 1m or minimum focus (o.7m). I found it no
problem if you had time (landscape photography) to set the distance, if you
were taking street/reportage photgraphy, then you're into exactly the same
methods as the old greats, H C-B etc.
They set the preferred distance and left it there working/walking themselves
closer or further away till they knew they were the right distance, no need
to check focus (with the rangefinder) once you can judge it.

The other large factor is the size of the two lenses, one is petite and
compact while the other is large and bulky in comparison. Again, this may
well influence your choice, it would mine. But they are also different focal
lengths, if this will be your widest lens then that might affect your choice
too.

I think the end answer is something only you can decide after trying out the
lenses, in some ways, the Voigtlander is almost cheap enough to have as
well, certainly you'd not lose much if you had to sell it on. But if
ultimate picture quality is your holy grail then save up for the Elmarit.

regards,
Jem