Subject: Re: [Leica] Shame on You All, and Kindly, Lay Off!
From: Stephen Holloway <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:21:59 +0200

Marc James Small wrote:

> A second allegation is that attorneys are always looking for an angle to
> make a buck.  Allow me to dissent.  About 1/3 or, perhaps, a tad more, of
> my practice is charity.  I am a Christian, and feel driven to do this by my
> beliefs, and ask no special credit for this, on this earth or in the
> hereafter:  to me, this is the minimum price for existence.  But, how many
> of YOU spend 1/3 of your professional lives doing work for others?  I know
> attorneys who have private incomes and do ALL of their professional work
> for free for charity clients (1 Moslem, 2 Jews, another Christian).  Have
> we met any software engineers who feel driven by their religion to do all
> of their work for free?  Or professional photographers?  Or used-car
> salesman?  (I represent a number of used-car salesman.  In general, most of
> them are far more cultured about mocking another's profession than are some
> on the LUG:  they would never make light of another's source of income.)

Actually yes, I know a retired software engineer who only does gratis
charity work. And yes, plenty of software engineers give substantial
amounts to charities (but we don't like to brag about it). And I'm
certainly not driven by any religion; simple compassion for fellow human
beings does it for me. As to your rich friends working for free: I'd be
a little more impressed if they didn't have private incomes.

Relax and learn how to use a message filter (email me if you want
advice). I find making photographs with a Leica very soothing!

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.ch/steve/photos