Subject: Re: [Leica] PYRO
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:35:21 -0800

Check this site:
http://www.sirius.com/~bry_lab/index.htm

They also have a link to MSDSs for all their listed chemicals!
EDTA, by the way, was the preservative material found on O.J. Simpson's
sock- the defense swore up and down that it was there because the police
used blood from a collection tube, where EDTA is used as a preservative!
However- No one mentioned that it is used in laundry detergent, food
packaging, and about 3 squillion other things as well as photo developer!
Almost ubiquitous!
Pyrogallol is formed from heating Gallol and driving off a -COOH radical (I
think an acetyl group.... I'll have to check the chem handbook) to form what
could be called 1,2,3 trihydroxybenzene. As a chemical, it is toxic to the
liver and kidneys, can cross the brain blood barrier, and if lab tests with
rats and dogs are any indication, a level teaspoon ingested by a normal
human is a fatal dose- LUGgers would probably require more.
However- in the dilute form used in the PMK fornulary, it appears to be no
more toxic than any of the other developer agents with the cyclical benzene
or phenol compounds.
If you observe standard lab procedures, and stick with the pre-mixed- it is
supposed to be safe.

Dan (I don't call my children 'Mutant Offspring' for nuttin') Post