Subject: Re: [Leica] PYRO
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:35:51 -0800

Lordy, Tim!
 I must be the PYRO! My family tree has at least a couple of forks in it!
That sounds like the county where they all the guys go to family reunions to
meet girls!
Seriously, after seeing the film "Erin Brocavich", I don't think I have
anything to worry about in the darkroom- I've used some pretty nasty stuff-
emulsions with sodium flouride and potassium bichromate. I tried putting a
bichromate emulsion on a sheet of glass, and exposing it like I was doing a
bichromate-gum print, and after washing to remove the unhardened emulsion,
soaking the remaining gum in a sodium flouride solution, quick rinse, and
then the plate goes into a bath of concentrated sulfuric acid.... the idea
being that the areas where the emulsion had hardened the most from exposure
would absorb the most sodium flouride, and where the emulsion had not been
exposed and was washed off, the sodium flouride would not adhere. Soaking in
the acid would create hydrofluric acid and etch the glass- moreso where the
concentration of flouride was higher, and a somewhat photographic etching
was hoped for. BUMMER- not very good resolution!
IF I can survive that, I can survive some wimpy organic chemical like PYRO!
Dan (Don't call me Igor!) Post