Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz Focomat V35
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:25:54 -0800

YEs, yes, yes!
The color module can be used for variable contrast paper, but if you would
prefer, I'll trade you my VC module for the color! :o}
The B&W module is simply a red filter that flips up so you can focus with
graded paper- i don't know if it would fog VC paper as I haven't tried it
since I got the VC module.
If you use Ilford paper, try to get the little Ilford handbook- it's priced
at $4.95, but our dealer gave our groups copies gratis, probably because we
give him so much business!
In there, they give the ISO Range for the different papers at different
filter values.
For example, Multigrade RC IV shows that with a grade 2 filter, the range is
125, if I recall (Don't have the book at my fingertips!)
Well, if your darkroom meter- I use a Beseler PM2M- shows a density range
of, say 1.25, between zone 1 and zone 9, then it will print on nr.2 grade.
The ISO Range they show in the book, if you divide the value by one hundred-
or move the decimal left two places- will give you the approximate density
range that will print on that negative.
This range of densities will vary- from enlarger to enlarger, and also it
depends on the enlarger lens you use! A cheap lens that flares can mean a
density reading that may vary .15 to .30 from a better more 'contrasty'
lens. An enlarger that exhibits a greater degree of internal reflections, or
that uses a diffuser, or one that has an extremely bright lamp for direct
illumination and show the 'Callier' effect, also can alter the density
reading.
I always insist that when I show someone how to print with a meter, that
they realize that a perfect negative in their enlarger may not be so perfect
in someone elses'! The whole system from start to finish is determined but
the MTF of not only the camera lens and film developing, but the MTF of the
enlarger, enlarger lens, and paper!
Well- enough soapbox tirade! Get the V35- it is a sterling piece of
equipment, and if you use a good lens (A focotar will come with it if
someone hasn't diddled with it!) you can count on very satisfactory results!
Dan (I love my V35, but she has cold feet in the winter....)Post