Subject: Re: [Leica] Waterproof Leicas?
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:20:57 EST

Tina,

This is going to sound Dorky I'm sure, however I'm sure that someone will
improve on my solution.

I just came off a white water canoe trip this past Saturday. I have tried all
kinds of protective devices. For my money, I put my Leica in two Heavy zip
lock bags,(not grocery store), cutting a hole for the lens and screwing a
filter in to seal it up tight. The strap comes out and I tape that. I find
that when I go in, and I do tip over my canoe with some disturbing frequency,
this arrangement keeps out most of the H2O.I've heard of your adventures, and
I suspect you are probably about as careful with cameras as I am. Yep mine
have gotten wet, alittle, but they do that in the rain!
The worst incident I have had, was when I capsized on a river up here in CT,
and because there are rocks everywhere, the camera did get a good size bump
on the noggin.
Canoes tip over very slowly, so I have usually been able keep my camera out
of harms way.
I simply could not tolerate all of the paraphernalia of the "housings."

I have some problems with my solution 1 lens per trip, and I can't keep track
of more than 1 body. Also the viewfinder can be difficult to see thru.
Averaging out the pluses and the minuses I like the zip lock approach.

So tell us where are you headed?

Bruce Bowman
Killingworth, CT.