Subject: RE: [Leica] 28mm vs. 35 mm lenses
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:21:59 -0500

Peter Jon White wrote:
[snip ...]
Unlike an SLR, with your M6 you have the frames for both 28mm and 35mm right
in your camera. When you're out taking pictures with your 50mm or 90mm, all
you have to do is move the frame selector lever to the 28mm or 35mm position
to see what you would get with either lens. If you frequently see an image
that you would like with one frame or the other, you'll know which lens to
get.

	--> Very wise PRACTICAL comments !

	Perhaps this would be of help:
	IF you take account of the newer Leica M 24mm ASPH,
	considered a reference, assuming you USE 24-25mm
	lenses, the 35mm focal length takes more meaning,
	in photo system building strategy (reserving the 24mm for later).

	IF you did not have a 50 mm, the 35mm would take one
	more meaning still.

	I'm tempted to vote for the 28mm but it's a very IFFY
	vote. Would it be a $250 lens, all would be fine but it's
	a major Leica brand purchase, either 28mm or 35mm,
	and both deserve very strong recommendations,
	while that 24mm thoroughly calls for attention:
	it's a matter of personal photo style, aesthetics, real life
	needs. Then, if you had a ONE lens system, I'd probably
	vote for a 35mm (while I use, and prefer, 28mm primarily).
	Which do you think YOU would U-S-E
	more and derive more satisfaction from ?

	"They" say a new 28mm f/2 Summicron-M is due any day now:
	perhaps are you the first one who'll report on its performance?
	That's certainly going to be a drooling trigger to many... oh yes !

	Best regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal