Subject: Re: [Leica] leica pimples?
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 17:57:54 +0100

Pascal wrote:

> On 07-04-2000 02:49 Julio Marcos wrote:
>
> >It's funny how people consider their Leica and Contax glass a step above
> >Nikon or Canon, have religious wars about it, but then go and put Cosina
> >lenses in their Leicas. Isn't Cosina the maker of those super-cheap,
> >plasticky consumer zooms?
>
> My feeling exactly, Julio.
> The overwhelming reason to buy into Leica systems lies with the excellent
> lenses.
> If one is not prepared to buy those (and only the best of them, that is),
> why use Leica at all? You could get much more value for money with a
> decent Nikon or Canon then. Just my two francs :-)
>
> Pascal
> NO ARCHIVE
>
> PS there is nothing wrong with a pimple on a very pretty girl. Just think
> of Cindy Crawford, the pimple on her face actually gives her "character"
> :-)

> See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
> Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
> With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
> Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !
> <<< PGP public key available on request >>>
The quality of the lenses is not the only reason to buy into Leica M
photography, important, but for from the only reason.  I, as I have mentioned
before, have been using Leicas since 1956 or so, and though I am not a
professional photographer, I have put a lot of film through them making images
I like and others like as well.  I have never used a current Leica lens, up
until a month ago the newest lens I used was an early seventies tele-Elmarit.
My most used lenses are a collapsible 50 mm Summicron, a 35 mm Summicron with
eyes circa 196?. I have been happily shooting away, enjoying the unique
handling and feel of my various Leica cameras to the point where they are
familiar friends. It the whole gestalt of the Leica not just fine lenses,
great quality, lithe handling, etc. that make it still my camera of choice.
But, sadly I cannot afford a 24 mm Leica lens.  I don't use 24 mm very much so
it would be very diffacult indeed to justify the hefty price tag, but it is
sure nice to have it there when I need it, like in the middle of a parade or
demonstration.  I can afford the 25 Skopar and I have and will continue to
happily use it to make images and this fact will detract not a wit from my
enjoyment and use of my cameras.
John Shick