Subject: Re: [Leica] leica pimples?
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 18:04:30 +0100

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Part of my point is that a big advantage to a Rangefinder system over an SLR
> system is the quality of its wide angle lenses.
> So many people think of rangefinder cameras as a means to do wide angle
> photography, the normal lens becomes the telephoto; the telephoto's don't exist.
> A lens designed for a rangefinder camera has an edge over it's SLR
> compitition...can bulge out more in the back.
> We're not alone anymore as of yesterday in the rangefinder world. There is
> "Voigtlander" and Konica and Contax. The wide angles on these systems have a
> natural edge over Nikon/Canon/etc SLR's i think.
> Mark Rabiner
It used to be the wisdom on the street postulated that it is easier to make a
straight focus wide-angle than a retro-focus wide-angle, and that straight
focus wide-angle lenses would be more contrasty and exhibit fewer distortions.
I don't know if retro-focus lenses now equal the performance of straight focus
lenses, but it still has to be easier to design and manufacture a straight
focus lens. Anyway the 25 mm Skopar is so small, that has to be a plus.
John Shick