Subject: Re: [Leica] Film problems, again
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:24:15 -0700

Rich-
Having loaded film off and on for 35 years I guess I can give you a few
tips! One- scotch tape is not toosturdy, the gum also 'bleeds' out from the
tape and can be messy after a while.
I found a long time ago that a good brand of one inch wide masking tape is a
good material for securing film. My method is to cut a piece the same length
as the spool- I settled on that since I usually have one at hand when I cut
the tape!
I secure one end of the tape to the backside of the film, and use three
sprocket holes as a guage of the length applied.
I then put the junction of the tape and film agains the spindle of the
spool, with a portion of the film laying between the flanges to keep it
straight, and carfulley wrap the tape aound the spindle and up on the
emulsion side of the film. I find that the length of the spool with let the
latter end also come up to abot the third sprocket hole, and then I insert
the spool, cap it, and clost the loader and wind the film. Since then, I
have never lost an end to a hand rolled film.
The masking tape, however, must be 'fresh'. If I have a roll over a year
old, I discard it as Masking Tape seems to dry out after a few months, and
become brittle. IT is cheap, however, and a small roll will allow you to
roll a BUNCH of cassettes!
I also tend to roll the entire length of a bulk roll at one time. The rolled
cassettes are put into the little plastic cans the local one hour lab is
pleased to give me, and I find that rolling the entire batch prevents
accident and incidents of exposing or mis labeling the film later.
I label the cassettes with little labels printed on the laser printer, and
cut to length- a page of  1"x2 56/8" labels allow me to print the cassette
information on both ends of the labels, which are cut in half with my paper
cutter while still on the page. The resulting strips are handing for
labeling the outside of the little 'cans' as well!
Good luck!
Dan (Twistin' and a-turnin' ) Post