Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: B&W paper
From: Ed Buziak <ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:52:43 +0000

Gary,

I think I should maybe bite my tongue or suck my teeth or something instead
of criticising materials which I choose not to use... I guess it's just
frustration on my part at seeing so many folks go with new trends when I'm
starting to explore the old hand-crafted methods. I'm also losing readership
to the influence of materials that I can't get excited about... when I hold
an ink-jet image in one hand and a Pt/Pd image on Arches Platine in the
other... OK, unfair comparison, I know, but that's how I think about this
damned new technology.

You're right to say that there are so many amazing photo technologies to
ever learn in one lifetime... that's why I'm going the traditional route.
However, I've got an open mind... but having said that, it is being more
influenced by the illustrations of drawing, etching, painting, collage, et
al in magazines lik eyour own excellent "Art on Paper" than by the regular
offerings in Pop, Petersen's and our own handful of glossy "in-your-eye"
mags in the UK. Maybe, at 56, and after 30 years of earning a crust through
lenses its time for me to give up photography and go back to art college.

(Sorry, I've been bashing the keyboard all day when I wanted to be in the
sun drawing, I'll feel better in the morning, even if the forecast is for
snow!)

Ed Buziak / Publisher
Camera & Darkroom magazine

ed.buziak@camera-and-darkroom.co.uk