Subject: RE: [Leica] Shades of hoods!
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:42:39 -0500

>>Do you recall the nature of the 'dissing' of the 50/2?
>
>Since the latest two versions of the lens are the same optically, the
>negative comments about the current version are all about mechanical design
>issues.
>
>The main complaint is about the built-in hood.  It collapses too easily to
>provide any mechanical protection for the front of the lens, and it's
>smaller and potentially less effective than the removable hood of the
>previous version.  In addition, the current version lacks the focussing tab
>which many (and I'm one) find to be a very ergonomic feature of the previous
>version.
>
>Paul Chefurka

I'd sure love to see these changes made.
Both the tab and some way to fix the hood in the extended position.

In the meantime -
I'm working on a fix for both. The hood is simple - maybe - just have
someone turn a tube to fit/glue on an old filter ring then screw it in

The tab is more complicated -  but I hope to have something soon. I'll
post pictures as it progresses.

How about a short run of lenses made this way? That'd be cool.

Henry Ambrose