Subject: Re: [Leica] making contact prints
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 07:09:03 -0700

> Andrew Moore wrote:
>
> > I usually don't make contact sheets from my (OT: Leica)
> > 35 mm negatives because I simply don't have a way of
> > doing it with good results.  I'd like to start making contact
> > sheets now.  Is there any equipment or techniques that
> > would really help here, particularly for holding a set of
> > negative strips (4 frames per) aligned and flat while the
> > exposure is made?<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Andrew,

This method may have already been covered, however it the event it
hasn't:  This is fast, efficient and gets the proofing of 3-4 or 30-40
rolls of film out of the way quickly.

Put enlarger head up to cover base of enlarger with light.  You  don't
need to stop down, just let her have it wide open, helps cut down on
printing time.

Buy a contact printer,  several on the market. As soon as your negs are
dry immediately cut and sleeve in the archival type clear page sleeves
that hold 6 or 7 strips of film.

Here you must determine if you want 7 strips of 5 negs each or 6 strips
of 6.   Either fits on a sheet of 8X10.   No big deal as they're only
contacts and that you see yourself or someone who truly knows how to
read contacts.  Never, never never show them to a client who is not
skilled with a loupe or is accustomed to looking at contacts.  If you do
you'll have more damn grief than you can shake a stick at.  ( "gee I
can't see these little pictures, can they be made bigger, don't you have
a bigger camera?" ) etc. etc.

With lights out and safe lights on,  contact printer with paper
inserted...."shiny side up," lay sheet of sleeved film on paper. close
down glass, apply pressure and hit the light.  Don't worry about the
quality of printing through the plastic sleeves they print just fine,
in the event anyone tells you that it's a no-no!  Forget it!  ....this
comes from multi years of experience of using this method with contacts
going to some of the finest photo editors in the country.

Whatever you do.....DO NOT FIDDLE WITH TRYING TO LAY OUT 6 OR 7
INDIVIDUAL STRIPS OF FILM! You'll go absoloutely crazy , pure utter
madness to attempt this micky mouse method!!

The secret for sharp contact sheets is...   " A: sharp negatives!"
B: Followed by pressure on the glass to maintain absolute contact of
film to paper.

Make one test exposure sheet, soup it, if it looks OK bang off the rest
of them one right after the other.  If you have ten rolls, expose all
ten rolls, and as you do each one just put the exposed sheet of paper to
one side in an empty covered paper box.  When all rolls are exposed,
take the bunch of them, feed them quickly into the developer and soup
all at once and  contact printing is over.  :)

Remember like everything else photographic..........keep it simple!
Contacts are no big deal, but they do need to be of a quality that you
can read well.

so there you are, get your ass in gear and get on with it! :-)

ted