Subject: Re: [Leica] R8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:00:10 -0700

Marthe & Rene wrote:

> Hi folks, just received my new R8.  A few things are immediately noticable.
>
> The viewfinder, miles ahead of my R7 both in clarity and field of view with
> eyeglasses.

> Ergonomics, this is one large puppy.  It will require a different hold
> technique than my R7.  Here, I think the winder might help.
> Anyone want to buy a near mint R7?
>
> Don't understand all  the negative feedback this camera has on LUG.
>
> Okay, I'm heading down the basement until the air raid shelter siren sounds
> the "all clear".
>
> Rene
>
> P.S. Question about the winder.  The litterature says that the motor drive
> allows single, 2 or 4.5 frames a second. The litterature on the winder only
> mentions the 2 frames a second. Am I right in assuming that it also has a
> single shoot setting?<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Rene,
Well the R8 negative comment isn't as bad as it was 4 years ago when it
arrived on the street, too many of us using it and praising it for the
whiners to make much noise these days. Those  who use it no what a great
piece of machinery it is and how accurate it functions, so generally the
negites keep a low profile these days. :-)

I wouldn't head for the air raid shelter, I'd get my butt right out the
door and shooting film with it, that's when you'll find out just what a
joy it truly is to use.

As far as the winder goes, it's an asset in holding the camera, but the
motor is even better as you have the handle strap which your right hand
fits through making it very comfortable to hold and an excellent
handling/balance for longer lenses.

As far as 2 frames a second or one frame?  It's just a matter of trip
the shutter and lift your finger, no differently than the normal
pressure on a manual release.  If you want two frames just keep your
finger pressure down and it clicks away at two frames a second until you
lift your finger.

But don't think you're going to shoot any fast moving subjects with the
winder as all it really is, is  a convenient advancing mechanism. If
you're interested in shooting sports or kids running and jumping and all
that kind of stuff you really need the motor without question.

Let us know how you like the R8 once you get on a roll with film through it.

ted