Subject: Re: [Leica] You're on the Board!
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:22:58 -0600

Rick Dykstra wrote:

> OK, after a decade of research you've perfected and marketed a new
> technology, genetic computers. They adapt to the computing environment
> you subject them to and grow with your needs.  You list a new company
> called MicroGene and become very rich.  You now have the time to turn to
> your other interests and accept an offer from the Board of Leica AG to
> advise on product developments.  You were approached because you
> understand that an entity can both successfully occupy a niche
> and evolve.
>
> Your first presentation to the Board is nigh, and you show us a sneak preview.
>
> What do we see?
>
> Rick (this could be fun he thinks, after his wife's new recipe and a bottle
> of chardonnay) Dykstra

First things first, help the ailing R-lineup or dump it. Forget about
costly new models, where's the promotions, cool marketing or even dealer
displays for existing ones? Fix this fast and stop mentioning products
that aren't ready to ship.

Offer co-op money for advertising.

Seek new customers, including those who already know Leica but only for
spotting scopes and binoculars. Aim more products for a younger
audience, more licensing deals to put the "Leica Elmarit" name on hip
point and shoot, digital and video products. Explore very high-end,
high-margin products for satellite imaging, digitizing, chip
fabrication.

I'd mostly ignore anyone who told me to put a vertically-running metal
shutter into the M6 without a really good reason! High flash synch is
probably not a killer M feature.

- --

Jeff
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado