Subject: Re: [Leica] Fill flash help
From: Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 13:13:48 +0400

Kip Babington wrote:

> The physical setup is a group shot of four vocalists (including my wife -
> this has to work) after a performance in a church hall.  I did a roll
> there last week with just available light, but while there's enough light
> to get a picture (on HP5 @ 800) the light is all from directly overhead
> and the eye sockets and foreheads have unflattering shadows.

There's not a lot you can do about that with fill flash: all areas of the
face will be equally brightened by the flash, and the ratio of light vs dark
areas will not change at all. In other words, the light areas of the face
will gain the same 1/2 f-stop (for example), as will the dark areas, and
nothing actually changes. Fill flash works when your main light source, like
a window, stikes from one side, and you add some light to the *other* side.

In your case, if you can't set up another real light source, then just let
the flash take over; not for fill, but for real.

Bernard