Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R: Is It Worth It?
From: Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 12:05:44 +0400

Mitchell Halpern wrote:

> Hi LUGers:
>
> Here's the scoop. As discussed before in this forum, I am a new Leica
> afficionado that has been amazed at the quality of the transparencies shot
> with an M6 TTL, 35 f/2 Asph, and 90 f/2.8 Elmarit in terms of color
> saturation, contrast, and detail. Of course, rangefinder photography has its
> limitations (macro, telephoto etc.), so I do not want to abandon SLR
> photography.
>
> Over the years, I have assembled a pretty decent collection of N***n SLR
> equipment. However, the quality of transparencies being produced by the
> Leica M setup has me wondering if Leica R equipment would be equally
> impressive. Is it worth selling the Nikon equipment and beginning to
> assemble a Leica R kit, especially given the outrageous prices of many R
> lenses or are the quality of N***n pro lenses pretty darn close to Leica R
> lenses?
>
> I would appreciate some practical advice, especially given the fact that I
> am off to NYC for a long weekend to attend a high school reunion and plan on
> visiting Leica House, Tamarkin, etc.

I leave comparisons with other brands to other people to fight about, but by all
accounts, you will get the same sensations from R lenses as from M lenses. I
have three Leica SLR's and 7 lenses to go with them, a drawer full of motors and
assorted accessories. Very expensive, but somehow worth it, to me.

It's cheaper to get an R7, than an R8, because you can get the accessories for
the R4-R7 to fit your R7 second hand, whereas with R8 stuff that's a lot more
difficult; not a lot of it around on the used market.

But what do you want to know?

Bernard