Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica camera & insurance
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:15:28 -0400

Mike, can you explain the downside to Actual Cash Value?  I mean, if I lose
my M3 wouldn't the ACV be what it would cost me to replace it with another
M3 in like condition?  Do I run a risk of not being able to replace my
camera assuming my max. scheduled amount is sufficient to cover this cost?

The thing I like about the rider is the part where Mysterious Loss if
covered, as well as no deductible.  My regular HO's insurance has a $500
deductible, which is fine for my level of risk around the house.  But I go
out in the streets with my Leicas all the time, and I have been repeatedly
warned by the "Leica police" <g> that this is an exceptionally bad idea.

don't know what they expect me to do with these cameras other than go out
and shoot with them, but apparently there really are gangs of thieves in my
fair city who are very aware of what a Leica is worth.  As explained to me,
a typical MO is for perp no. 1 to bump into you from the front as a
distraction while perp no. 2 cuts your strap and dashes off with the goods
into a crowd.

I love my Leicas, but if someone shoves a gun in my face and says your Leica
or your, or your wife's, or your dog's life, I will hand over the camera on
a silver platter and say yes sir while I do it!  I just want to make sure I
can get another camera if that ever happens.

Bob Kramer
Atlanta (one of the highest crime rates in the country), GA