Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Decision : Help
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:54:57 -0400

	[BOB KRAMER]  Not at all!  We love telling folks which gear they
need!

>   But please help me.  I
> have no where to ask.  I don't want to go for usenet and get numerous
> diversified responses.

	[BOB KRAMER]  And you don't think you'll get numerous and diverse
opinions here?   ;-)

> I want to minimize my first
> investment, Martin.  So, the used gear might be better alternatives.  As
> for
> Leica, I have no idea how the used gear would be.  I mean, should I get
> the
> used lens or the used body?

	[BOB KRAMER]  I will be the voice of insanity and suggest you get
used everything!  In fact, I'll even suggest you get an M3.  Great camera
for 50mm and 90mm lenses.  And cheap too, by Leica standards.  For less than
$1300 you could be sitting pretty with both a camera and 50mm lens
(summicron) in good user condition (for those who like most of the vulcanite
on their camera bodies intact).

	Just make sure lens glass is mint to mint- and the camera
rangefinder is clear and you can't go wrong.  But a user M6 can be a great
buy also, particularly if you check with Sherry Krauter (repair person -
914.496.8834) who can assist you with input on the better batches to look
for.  But beware... she will try and talk you into an M5!

	As far as which fifty, they seem to fall into several categories:

	a.  Cheapest and Sharpest  --  f2.0 Summicron
	b.  Most Versatile (read, low light)  --  f1.4 Summilux
	c.  Most Funky  -- f2.8 Collapsible Elmar (ya' gotta love the look
of that thing!)

	Obviously there are optical/mechanical differences, but they all
work good so I wouldn't sweat the details too much.  But I do like the
focusing tab on the early 90's Summicron version.  The detachable hood looks
cool too.  Here's a couple of websites with good information:

	http://www.cameraquest.com/index.html
	http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

	One more thing.  Some folks have spoken highly of the f1.5 50mm
cosina/voigtlander lens, so it is worth considering for it's low cost.
Personally, I don't care for the bokeh of that lens though.

	Bob Kramer
	Atlanta, GA