Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 metering question
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 22:38:53 +0100

Simon Lamb wrote:

> Joe
>
> Thank you for your reply.  As you say, I guess it is a case of getting to know
> the tools that you have and how to interpret what they say to you.  I will do as
> you suggest and take specific notes of each frame and see what results I get.
>
> Joe Codispoti wrote:

Just a slightly different perspective, especially if you shoot a lot of black
and white.  Turn off the meter, and practice judging the exposure by eye.
Kodak and, I am sure, many many other sources have printed exposure tables
which with a little practice work surprisingly well. They used to pack these
with the film, you know the Brigh sun f16 at 1/400 for Tri-ex.  You don't even
need the chart, we have the sweet sixteen rule which posits your exposure
should be about f16 at the reciprocpol of the film speed, in bright sun. Stop
down one stop for hazy, two for cloudy bright, etc. It will take you
surprisingly few rolls to get the hang of it. Open up for back light, etc.
Once you have learned how to do this with some facility you will have a much
better understanding of what your meter is telling you and when it may be
leading you astray.  Also being able to shoot with out a meter if needs be
gives you a great deal of confidance in your ability to control the camera
rather than the camera controling you.
John

Message from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] M6 metering question)
Message from Simon Lamb <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] M6 metering question)