Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 18:31:39 -0700

><Snip> .  But my point was not to never use the
> meter, but that learning to judge exposure will help one to use a meter wisely
> and as you say, when the meter fails you don't throw up your hands, unable to
> continue. I think it should be required learning in a good photography course
> along with proper use of meters.
> John Shick

Not to act like I have to get the last word in here on this one, John,  but I
think the important thing is to learn to PLACE your tones.
How much it is smart to open up or close down from an accurate reading to PLACE
that tone in an intelligent area in the neg so it will then print right.
Caucasian skin tones: 	open up a stop.
Dark objects: 	one stop less
middle grey: 	middle grey card: use the indicated exposure.
Concrete: 	two stops more than the indicated exposure
white walls: 	three stops more than the indicated exposure.
(The above mainly from Arnold Gassan, handbook for contemporary photography.  my
college textbook in the 70's.)
Mark Rabiner

Replies: Reply from john <bosjohn@mediaone.net> (Re: [Leica] Metering)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Metering)