Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: London and Paris Trip - caveats about thieves?
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 07:59:11 -0400

In 1976 I was wearing a Minolta SRT-101 around my neck in London in the
neveready case.  It fell to the ground.  Upon examination I discovered
that the buckle on the strap had been tampered with -- presumably with the
intent of stealing it.  The next day I discovered the top plate was dented
and the shutter jammed.

My understanding is that purse thieves and camera thieves carry around
razor blade knives to slit the straps.  There is a market for purse straps
with steel cables imbedded therein to stop this method.