Subject: Re: [Leica] A combination that works for me
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 24 May 2000 10:50:22 -0700

On Wed, 24 May 2000, "Bill Butz" wrote:

> First let me introduce myself. My name is Bill Butz and I am a retired
> Chemist living on the central coast of California.I have used Leicas since
> the mid-forties.
>     The combination that I now use is both digital and wet darkroom work. I
> photograph mainly Grandchildren and details of nature. I use a M6 loaded
> with Tech Pan rated at a speed of 100. I develop in a modified POTA
> developer.
>     I mount the keeper negatives in Polaroid snap mounts and scan them at
> 1200dpi on my HP Scanjet 6300c. This gives me a small file of about 7MB,
> which is easy for me to handle on my computer.
>      I print them with my Epson 870 on Matte paper in a 6X8inch size. I use
> the Sepia setting. This gives a Duotone effect with the black printing in
> the shadows. I mount them in 11X14 (8X10 id) mats which gives a nice white
> space. If I really like a print I go into my darkroom and make a cropped
> 11X14 inch silver print. The digital print gives a lot of information on
> what is in the negative. I would like to hear what others are doing in this
> regard. Bill

Welcome, Bill.  There are many digital/traditional combinations in use among LUGgers.  The one I use starts with Kodachromes, scanned on to PhotoCD disks and cleaned up with PhotoShop.  Many will end up on my website, and the best ones will be printed on photographic paper by a lab with a LightJet printer.  The digital part of my workflow allows me to adjust the color balance and size, and to clean up dust and scratches, to a much greater  degree than a traditional darkroom allows, and by having a lab print the file on photographic paper I avoid the print permanance problems which up until recently were the greatest downside of inkjet printers.  Before using this combination I was not able to get prints to match my slides.  Now I expect to.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!