Subject: Re: [Leica] Choosing a 50mm Summicron
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:11:33 -0500

Actually, I think this review by Erwin didn't include the latest version of
the 50 Summicron which is supposed to be a big improvement over it's
predecessor.

My preference is still the Rigid Summicron.   It and the DR are reputed to
have the highest resolution of any 50 ever tested.   This lens doesn't have
the contrast of the lens that replaced it but I like it better.  90% of what
I do is Kodachrome 25.  Consequently, I find the Rigid Summicron to have a
color rendition that isn't too warm nor is it too cold.    Out of focus
areas are very smooth.

The lens also seems to produce the kind of subtle color nuances that the 75
Summilux can produce.

When Leitz replaced the Rigid  50 Summicron and the 8 element 35 Summicron,
they were driven by two major objectives:  improved contrast and reduced
costs.  They accomplished this by reducing the number of lens elements to
six and using simple flat surfaces.   Contrast was increased at the expense
of resolution.   Contrast is a necessary commercial requirement.  It's kind
of like torque in an engine...you gotta have lots of it to sell the product.

Leica eventually added another element to the 35 Summicron (pre-ASPH) to get
back some of the lost resolution and they changed the 50 Summicron not too
long ago to also improve resolution.

However, IMHO any of the 50 Summicrons dating from the Rigid Summicron are
outstanding lenses and you would probably be happy with any of them.   The
version that replaced the Rigid is probably the least expensive (and also
the least desirable).

Good luck,
Bud