Subject: [Leica] Wetzlar trip info request
From: "Tom Furlotte" <tfurlott@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 21:02:56 -0500

Ken,

   For interesting nightlife and lots of local color, see if the bar called
the Honsheimer Eck is still  there.  I was introduced to the "Horni" by
Walter Heun when I was at the Leica School in 1986.  The place is small and
had the most extensive collection of jazz tapes you could ask for.  They
served a North German style of beer called Haake Kraeusen Pils which we
partook of liberally.  I can remember (hazily) conversing in broken German
with a Green Party member  who introduced himself with " I hate your
country!", which we discussed in depth over several biere.
   The next day we met in the intersection made famous by Barnack in his
ur-Leica photos ( the Eisenmarkt) and he gave me his Communist party pin
from his shirt.  I guess good bier makes differences less important. But I
digress.
   The Horni is in the old part of Wetzlar and I recall only a short walk
from the Eisenmarkt.  I hope it is still there and flourishing and that you
get a chance to check it out.

Tom Furlotte
Memphis