Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanning B&W
From: Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 08:57:22 +0200

Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:51:15 +0100
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning B&W
on 28/5/00 1:47 pm, Nathan Wajsman at wajsman@webshuttle.ch wrote:

> is it better to make corrections like levels and curves in the scanning
> software, or is it better to just scan without applying any corrections
> at the scanning stage and just make any needed corrections in Photoshop
> later?

Personally, I now do everything I can in Photoshop. Scan at the maximum bit
depth and resolution you can, get EVERYTHING out of the image, then go to
PS, set b and w points using levels, then sort out the tonality with curves.

If you would like a more precise version of my workflow I'd be happy to
oblige. It's taken me a while to get right but I think it works well now.

- - --
Johnny Deadman
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I also make all adjustments in Photoshop. I'm using Silverfast which means
I can get a 30 Mb scan from a BW negative. The advantage is very evident in
the final result. It also allows you set the focus which is often different
from the scanner's original idea. Adjusting in the scanware - I'm not sure
how closely your preview and the final scan relate, etc. I believe that
some people with highly precise scanning skills and calibrated hardware
preset some curves on the scanner. But the actual image manipulation is
still done in photoshop.
However, if you're doing colour or chromogenic BW, the Nikonscan
ICE+sharpen seems to work a good deal better than the Silverfast
equivalent, and yields a scan which just needs a touch of levels and
curves, plus a pinch of unsharp mask (really a tiny amount) to finish off.
But you can't scan at 5400 dpi.
I should just add that I never print, but look forward to getting a good
printer with archival colour inks one day. And a monitor calibrator. But so
far it's just for CD's. Let the client worry about the CMYK - just as they
would if I sent them a sheet of slides.
Ciao
Rob.
Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow