Subject: Re: [Leica] Holy Wars Redux: Leica vs. Zeiss
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:47:19 -0400

John Costo wrote...

"I like the Olympus. It seems to be more Leica like than the R system!
(weight and aperture ring position for example)..."

It's no wonder!  I own both an OM-1n and a Leica M3.  To me, they complement
each other perfectly.  When I first picked up an Olympus I marveled at how
it felt EXACTLY like a Leica.  That's not surprising, considering that the
Olympus designer Mr. Maitani was a Leica fan.  Consequently, the dimensions
of an Olympus OM and a Leica M body are almost identical.  It's astonishing
how close they are...just a millimeter or two here and there.  What's even
more amazing is the fact that the Olympus is stuffed with a full SLR viewing
system and a meter and the camera is still no bigger than the unmetered
rangefinder camera.

The superb Leica-like performance of the Zuiko lenses is a fantastic bonus.
My Leica's lens is a new, latest-run 50mm f2 Summicron which some experts
view as the best performing 50mm lens ever made (better, even, than the
legendary mid-1950's Summicrons).  There is no doubt that its imaging
quality is unmatched.  To say you can't tell the difference between it and
any other lens is just wishful thinking...however...the 50mm f1.4 Zuiko I
have is very close indeed and far superior to the Nikkor and Canon lenses
I've used.

So, I agree with John.  Leica should have hired Mr. Maitani to design their
SLR.  My dream SLR would be an Olympus body with Leitz glass on it....not
that Zuiko has anything to be ashamed of.

Craig Roberts
Boston