Subject: Re: [Leica] R zoom recommendation?
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 02:18:26 +0200

Hi Pitak,

The 4/35-70 VE is a very attractive general-purpose lens. As a bonus, it also
focuses very close, giving you a pseudo macro capability. As far as I know,
the previous version of this zoom (3.5-4.5/35-70) was a Minolta design, while
this one is a Leica design but manufactured by Sigma.

It is, plainly, the best zoom lens I have ever owned or used. As far as I can
tell the only tradeoff compared to the prime lenses in this range is the
maximum aperture.

Cheers,

Nathan

Pitak Chenkosol wrote:

> Dear Nathan,
>
> I am also searching for a general purpose zoom lens for my Leica R
> outfit. I agree with you completely about the two 2.8 zoom lenses
> from Leica. I'd like your opinion on the latest 35-70mm f/4.0 Vario-Elmar
> lens. The size and weight are very attractive for a day trip. Is this lens
> one of the Minolta design?

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch