Subject: Re: [Leica] R zoom recommendation?
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:18:57 -0500

On 03-06-2000 14:53 george wrote:

> can anyone advise concerning whether some of the less
>expensive used R zooms on the market have any pitfalls...

George,

For a long time I didn't want to touch a zoom lens. I'd had bad experiences
in the past. But I was won over by the 80-200/4. My personal feeling is
that it is as good as any prime lens I've used in that range (Nikon, Contax
or Leica).  The only tradeoff I see is the loss of speed -- one to three
stops vs an 85/1.4 or 180/2.8. Shutter speed is not the issue. I can always
use artificial light. (Flash is one driver behind my using an  SLR).
However, focusing becomes a bit more difficult in marginal light. That, to
me, is a real practical issue. I kept my 90/2 R after I purchased the
80-200/4 for that reason. In terms of performance, I don't see a practical
difference between prime or zoom.

I've seen enough slides that I'm convinced the 35-70/4 would perform as
well as my 35/2 R. I say that again in a practical sense, since  I'm sure
the 35/2 would edge out the zoom in a lens test at f4.  I just haven't
purchased a 35-70 yet, but I think it's only a matter of time.

Dave.