Subject: Re: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:02:00 -0500

Mark

>>I moved up to the current Elmarit and I sure don't carry that lens around
with
me as much. But it's the difference in quality between black and white.
I'll never go back.
I'd like Leica to come out with a 75 2.5.<<

At one time or another I've owned each one of the Leica 90s. I had a 90/2.8
Elmarit (1970's), a fat 90/2.8 TE and a thin 90/2.8 TE. I've also had
several 90/4 Elmars. I now own the latest 90/2.8 Elmarit, and like you I
wouldn't go back.

The older 90's are pretty decent. I didn't see much difference between the
fat and thin TEs. But the latest version is the hands down winner at f2.8
and f4. I sold my 90/2 Summicron M after I purchased the latest 90/2.8 TE.
I hardly every used the Summi at f2 and I felt the 90/2.8 was better (or at
least equal) at f2.8. Plus, the TE was smaller than the Summi.

I use the 90/2.8 Elmarit wide open at least half the time and I have no
complaints. It is a stunning performer. The greatest difficulty I have with
that lens is keeping the plane of focus right at close distance and at
maximum aperture. DOF is pretty narrow. I love to do head and shoulder
shots with both eyes in sharp focus and the nose and ears edging out of the
plane of focus. That's possible with the 90/2.8 Elmarit, but it's not easy.
It seems either I'm moving or the subject is moving. I've said this before
and I'll say it again...my hat is off to those who have a high degree of
success with the 75/1.4 at close range and at maximum aperture. The reason
I don't own the 75/1.4 is that I'm not that good. I have enough trouble
with f2.8.  Plus, I'm not willing to put up with the extra weight of the
faster lens.

The latest 90/2.8 Elmarit is the ideal tele for the Leica, IMHO. The thin
TE was a little too thin. While it was compact to carry, it just didn't
feel right on the M body. I had trouble focusing that lens quickly. Both
TEs (fat and thin) were stiff, as in the focusing ring was difficult to
turn. I think the  90/2.8 Elmarit is a little more nimble, and the focusing
ring is more smooth.

All of this is, of course, my personal opinion. Everyone has favorites.
Most of the time I only carry two lenses for my M. They are the 35/1.4 ASPH
and the 15/4.5 Heliar (small and very useful). But I like the 90 for
portraits and some landscapes.

Dave

Replies: Reply from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> (Re: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston)
Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> ([Leica] Re: Was: Tell Me About This Lens Now: TE versus new elmarit)