Subject: RE: [Leica] stuck 50
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:25:08 -0700

>> Better have it checked. Those symptons are often due to a screw coming
>> loose inside, and forcing the focussing can damage something quite easily.
>
>Henning,
>
>All of the screws on the rear of the lens are intact, and shining a
>flashlight into the lens reveals that the screws (?) surrounding the
>aperture ring are also intact, as are the screws on the lens mount and
>inside the body (at least all that are visible).  Are there any others that
>aren't visible that might have come loose?
>
>I figure some grit or dirt got into the threads of the focusing cam and had
>to work its way loose before it would turn freely, or else the grease
>happened to stiffen up at that spot.
>
>I hate to take it back to the dealer and lose the use of the lens if its
>really nothing.  I'm inclined to hold onto it and only send it back if the
>problem happens again.  But if you feel there is a reasonable risk that the
>occurrence reflects a serious problem, I will defer to your better judgment.
>Perhaps this is all the excuse I need to buy the 28/2.8 in the meantime. :)
>
>Thanks for your input,
>Dan

I don't know the construction of the lens, so there might be nothing to
come loose and get in the way. Set screws in or near focussing
rings/helicoids have been a problem on other lenses over the years if they
get loosened by airplane or car rides in particular. Maybe someone who has
taken one of these lenses apart can give a definitive answer on this.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com